Thursday, September 1, 2011

Yellow Sunbonnets

This watercolor took many glazes of dark greens and blues to get the background dark enough. I didn't want to paint too dark too fast because I wanted to preserve subtle hints of leaf shapes even in the dimness of the darkest shadows. I didn't mask the flowers, so I had to paint around them freehand with each glaze. I think it helped keep a more realistic, dimensional look to the flower edges.  Once again, Fabriano Artistico, 11"x14" hot press paper.  I completed it around October, 2010.

This painting has been sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments show up after they've been moderated.